After we had all taken the plunge (The pun there is SO intended. I wish I could also be making a bathroom reference.), we continued on our way biking down the mountain valley (see below). The last waterfall we reached on our journey (you can actually go a few kilometers more to another one) was called "Pailón de Diablo." Now, I haven't figured out what that means yet, but I think it means something like "Devil's Awesome Waterfall" or "Devil's Super-High-Powered Fire Hose." Suffice it to say, it's a very forceful waterfall and the hike to it is quite impressive as well.

There are a couple of things that are really cool about the waterfall. First of all, as you hike down, you pass an incredible rock-face cliff. Second, at the bottom of the waterfall, you can climb over a rickety wooden rope bridge that warns "Attention! Maximum 5 people. Do not jump/swing." Third, two rivers meet at the bottom of the waterfall - one that comes from the waterfall and one that doesn't. What's cool about it is that the water from the waterfall is greenish and the water from the river is brown. From the bridge you can see where the two rivers collide and watch the waters mix. Fourth, you can climb up very close to the waterfall in these caves carved by water.

cliffs

rope bridge and warning signs

where the rivers mix

getting rained on by the waterfall

picture from under the waterfall

I thought I should include a picture of the actual waterfall
After climbing up very close to the waterfall, we headed back to our bikes (which we had locked up at the top of the trail). We didn't intend to bike back to Baños 25km uphill, so we did what most folks do and we found a random guy driving a truck and asked him to take us and our bikes back to Baños. $1.50 a person... 25km... 7 bikes. And a beautiful sunset to boot.
We didn't do very much at night in Baños because we were very tired both nights. So, on Sunday, after doing a little bit of shopping and hiking around town and checking out the town's cathedral, we basically headed home, but not before trying some of Baños' famed melcocha - taffy. It's very hard, but very good. Actually, I discovered on the bus back that melcocha is infinitely better when it's warm (my bag was apparently on a warm spot on the floor).
I should really only include one thing more. Remember my rant about the markets? Well, in Baños I saw the extreme of that. Just along the bus station, there are about 100 (not exaggerating) little tiendas selling caña (sugar cane) and jugo (juice) de caña. We got some for the trip home.

awesome idea
Photo album: "La ruta de las cascadas..."
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario